Sunday, February 20, 2011

Nothing to do but wait...

So it's 4:48pm on a Sunday and I should be doing homework. The never-ending list is always growing and I'm nervous for the rest of the semester, but everything will work out. Good sign is that my boyfriend got a new truck. If something can work out for him, then everything else will fall into place. I think I'm finally over the "senioritis" and back into the daily grind of homework, and e-mails, and acting like I know what I'm doing. Life is good. Soon enough it will be September/October and I will be moving out and really starting off my career. I guess now I know why people write in journals. It helps you to understand your thoughts a bit more because you have to put them into words. Kinda neat how that happens actually.
Anyways, I'm not supposed to be talking about myself, but I figured a background thought process would be helpful. As I'm sitting here at the computer, I'm looking at one of my old chef uniforms remembering how much I liked working in the kitchen. Great job as in fast-paced and if you get into a good place you're not bored, but horrible hours. So, since family is important and I want my weekends, an office job sounds a bit more appropriate. I guess here are some tips on discovering what kind of engineering you want to do:
  • Ask yourself, how do you feel about sitting at a desk all day typing on the computer or looking at papers?
  • DEFINITELY try to get an internship in the engineering field. This will help you to determine what type of engineering you like (office work, test lab work, a good mix, etc.). Also, it will help you to decide if you want to even stay in engineering, so start early! 
  • Ask people how they like their jobs. Not only what they do like about it, but what they don't like about it. 
  • Take a personality test. Yes, sometimes this can be beside the point and not correct, but it will give you somewhat of a good idea the career paths you might find exciting. I would suggest the Myers-Briggs. 
Even though some of these points may seem like common sense, it is amazing how much you may not even think about it, and then end up doing something completely opposite of what you want to do. Just think about it. Maybe it might help if you are in your early stages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment